Bob Mazza was recently presented with the Lake & Smith Award at the annual meeting of the North East Community Foundation. The North East Community Foundation assists donors in improving the quality of life in and around North East, Pa., and by creating endowments to benefit local nonprofits.
Each year at its Annual Meeting, The North East Community Foundation presents a special award to honor a local individual, family or non-profit organization who demonstrates excellence in community service and a commitment to the residents and community of North East.
The Lake & Smith Award for Community honors long-time local residents Ernest Lake and Geraldine Smith, founding members of the Foundation’s Board of Trustees. Award recipients also receive a gift of $500 to donate to the non-profit organization of their choice. Bob Mazza chose to donate a gift of $500 to the Crescent Hose Company in North E
Bob’s son, Mario Mazza, introduced Bob at the meeting and listed off some of the various ways that his father has lent a hand to the community (and beyond) throughout the years:
- North East Chamber of Commerce – past Chair
- Helped to build consensus to bring Mercyhurst to this location
- North East Community Foundation – past Chair
- North East Wine Fest – original founding member
- Helped to drive the decision to give the event to the North East chamber as a fundraiser
- Lifelong passion for the wine and grape industry, pushing it forward in constant pursuit of continuing improvement, with an uncanny ability to envision and see ability where others cannot
- Erie Chamber
- Visit Erie – supported business as well as tourism and economic development in the region
- Presque Isle State Park Advisory Board
- Tom Ridge Environmental Center Foundation – helping to ensure a bright future for one of our region’s greatest natural assets
- Mercyhurst – various levels of service both here in North East and at the main campus, including former Trustee
- PA Winery Association and PA Wine Marketing and Research Board
- PWA – Bob was one of the few to be president in the early days and again more recently when the industry was in need of someone to step up
- PWMRB – Led the effort to establish this ACMA program that continues to support our industry today
- PA Chamber of Commerce, PA Farm Show Commission
- Representing (for the first time in both instances) the PA Wine and Grape industry, ensuring our industry’s seat at the table
His son Mario noted that this list doesn’t even round out the full extent of his involvement, all with the time to have grown a successful wine (and now spirits and beer) business over the course of 45 years.
The Mazza family is proud of our founder and leader, Bob Mazza, and we strive to continue to improve our community as we continue to grow.